[Samba] File Locking Problem

Jason Stewart jstewart at rtl.org
Thu Jul 10 12:44:48 GMT 2003

Hi There,

I'm running Samba 2.2.8a and I think I'm having problems with Samba's
file locking mechanism.

These are the files and modes that I'm trying to open from a dos
application. The program freezes for about 5 minutes, then continues to
run without loading the necessary files into memory. When the files were
on novell last week, there was no pause or lockup. See the files/modes
below:

DENY_DOS RDONLY NONE /mnt/rtl/accumail/ews.dat
DENY_WRITE RDONLY EXCLUSIVE+BATCH /mnt/rtl/accumail/zip3.exe
DENY_WRITE RDONLY EXCLUSIVE+BATCH /mnt/rtl/public/util/tsrmark/mark.com

In my debugging log I get this:
[2003/07/10 08:31:25, 0] smbd/oplock.c:oplock_break(797)
  oplock_break: receive_smb timed out after 30 seconds.
  oplock_break failed for file accumail/ews.idx (dev = 2101, inode =
736295, file_id = 13450).

The file above is a file that my program needs to open, but oplocks are
screwing up? Someone else had this file open earlier.

Thanks,
Jason Stewart