[Samba] install error

Pratik pratik.kanjilal at gmx.net
Thu Jul 10 06:50:33 GMT 2003

Hi,

I'm using Samba to try and connect through a Surecom hub with a TCP/IP
network running Win 98 machines and one Win 2000 machine. The 2000 machine
is set up as a plain workstation. Samba status and testparm report OK. But
neither Linux nor Windows recognise each other and the output for smbclient
-L hostname is:

NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE
Session setup failed

Hope someone can help me make sense of this.

My config is:

RH 8.0, 2.4.14-18 kernel on i686 (machine is dual boot with Win98)
Samba 2.2.5-10
Network is static IP (192.168.x.x) using subnet 255.255.0.0
No perceivable error in network. Ping and telnet working OK. Hostname is
correctly resolved by Win machines (with WINS and DNS disabled), but no
shares are found. (Do shares have to be set up in smb.conf?)
Other errors (not sure if relevant): sendmail cannot be loaded either
manually or during boot and hangs the machine.