[Samba] Re: Pseudo-GPO Support for Samba

Jerry Haltom wasabi at larvalstage.net
Wed Jul 9 18:02:16 GMT 2003

I have created a GPO similar program specifically for deploying
applications to workstations. Similar to how GPO can push software
packages.

I like to call it wpkg. (dpkg for Windows :)

It's very simple, but, very effective, and it works for more than MSI's.
It consists of a script, which is run at STARTUP (not login) as a domain
account. I did this by using FireDaemon to start it. The script examines
a centralized XML file (on a share reachable by the service the script
is started by). The XML file details packages, version, and command
lines to add/remove/upgrade each package. There is another XML file, for
profiles, which reference package's in the packages file. This is used
for departments in my office. I have a profile named "it" which requires
certain packages. Profiles can inherit from other profiles. The sum of
all packages is collected.

The script then compares the packages that should be installed, with
those that are, from a local xml file (C:\WINNT\System32\wpkg.xml), and
determines what action it needs to take for each file. Install, Upgrade,
or remove.

Each package has a list of command lines assoicated with each action.
Such as running msiexec /i <path to an msi> for the install action, and
msiexec /x for remove commands... some of my packages just run xcopy.

It's pretty useful. The main problem im having with it is the FireDaemon
service needs to start as a Domain user, so I need to edit the computers
local security policy to enable that account to Log on as a Service.
That would have been automated by group policy. :D

Jerry Haltom
Feedback Plus, Inc.