[Samba] authentication from win2k DC

Ilko Iliev I.Iliev at Curecomp.com
Wed Jul 9 08:43:22 GMT 2003

Hi,

I've followed the instructions in the chapter 8 of the documentation to
connect my AIX 4.3.3 machine with Samba 2.2.8.1 (taken from bull as
binary for AIX).
The server is in the domain now, but the domain users can't log on to
the samba server. The first problem in the log file is:

[2003/07/08 18:00:46, 0] smbd/password.c:domain_client_validate(1558)
  domain_client_validate: could not fetch trust account password for
domain TELIT

What exactly has to be done on the Win2k side? I don't have
administrator privileges (we are using corporate domain and I have to
give exact instructions to the domain administrator according our samba
server), but my account has privileges to add machines to the domain and
I've added the samba server with this account. If I change the security
= server and use as password server the PDC server the domain users will
be successfully authenticated.

My global section of the smb.conf:

[global]
        workgroup = TELIT
        server string = Samba Server
        encrypt passwords = Yes
        security = domain
        password server = *
        log file = /var/adm/samba/log.%m
        max log size = 50
        dns proxy = No
        wins server = 10.7.2.4
        hosts allow = 10.70.34.0/255.255.255.0 127.0.0.1
        code page directory = /usr/local/lib/codepages
        smb passwd file = /usr/local/private
        lock dir = /var/adm/samba/locks
        pid directory = /var/adm/samba/locks
        winbind separator = +
        winbind uid = 10000-20000
        winbind gid = 10000-20000
        smb passwd file = /etc/smbpasswd
        ;log level = 3
        netbios name = ccdev1

A note: with winbind a list of the domain groups and users can be
obtained from the samba server using winfo -u and winfo -g

Any help will be appreciated !

Tks,
Ilko

Dipl.-Ing. Ilko ILIEV