[Samba] Minor problem with CUPS printing.

Collins, Kevin KCollins at nesbittengineering.com
Tue Jul 8 20:40:17 GMT 2003

I've got a Red hat 8.0 machine running the latest "up2date" version of Samba
(2.2.7 with Red Hat's patches) acting as a print server using CUPS.

The printing of documents is fine for the most part.  But I have noticed one
thing that is really nothing more than an annoyance and was wondering if
anyone else has seen the problem and possibly a cure.

I have all Windows 2000 Pro clients, most of them have all 5 printers that
this server controls installed. (The drivers are locally installed and not
downloaded from the server - I'm still working on that.)  All of the
printers installed show up as they should and all of the driver options are
available.

But the "Printers" control panel applet keep reporting these printers as
"Access is denied, unable to connect" when you select one of the printers.
In addition when you double-click on the one of the printers to see the
"queue", nothing ever shows up and the same "Access is denied, unable to
connect" is displayed in the title bar of the dialogue box.

Since the print jobs are flowing, I'm not *too* concerned about them, but I
would like to remove this message and be able to the print queues if that is
possible.

--
Kevin L. Collins, MCSE
Systems Manager