[Samba] samba.org Solaris binary is incompatible with Mac OS 10.2.x as client

Tom Schaefer schaefert at tomcat.umsl.edu
Tue Jul 8 16:01:30 GMT 2003

More precisely what I've discovered is, at least in the cases of 2.2.8a
and 3.0alpha22, when a 64-bit Samba is built with Sun's Forte compiler
you'll end up with something incompatible with Mac OS 10.2.3.

I always compile Samba myself with Sun's compiler to produce a 64-bit
Samba.  Well yesterday it came to my attention that Mac OS 10.2.x doesn't
work with whats on my main server - Samba 2.2.8a compiled 64-bit with
Sun's Forte compiler.

I'll spare you all the details of a day wasted in experimentation.  My
finding is that samba binaries built 64 bit with Sun's Forte compiler, wether I've
compiled it myself or downloaded it
(http://us4.samba.org/samba/ftp/Binary_Packages/solaris/Sparc/samba-2.2.8
a-1-sol8-suncc-64bit.pkg.gz), are incompatible with Mac OS 10.2.x as a client.

I believe this can be easily replicated by any one with the means to do so.  I replicated it against 4 unique Sparc platforms running Samba with two different Macintoshes as clients, one with OS 10.2.4 the other with OS 10.2.6.  Any smb.conf settings seem to have no bearing. Authentication type (domain, share), oplocks, etc. it doesn't matter.  In fact you can take a gcc compiled samba and put it on the same Sparc box with the exact same smb.conf and the Macintoshes will then function properly as clients.  (But I don't run a gcc compiled Samba any longer since I learned the hard way that doing so can reveal a bug in Sun's stdio library)

The problems are these:  mount a Samba share of a Sparc box thats running 64 bit Sun compiler compiled Samba - In the Finder click Go, then Connect to Server, then address of smb://servername/sharename.  Fill in your id and password and it will mount and open up as a window.  Now, still using the Finder, just try to copy something into the share - for example drag a file from your Desktop into the window of the Samba share.  If the disk space is UFS (the standard Sun file system)  You'll get this:  "The operation cannot be completed because you do not have sufficient privileges for some of the items."  Click OK and the file will in fact copy anyway.

If the disk space on the server is an NFS mount thats in turn being shared by Samba you'll get this when you try to copy a file onto the Samba share from the Mac: "The operation cannot be completed because some data cannot be read or written. (Error code -36)."  Click OK and the file will in fact copy anyway.

Another weird problem I'm seeing is that often but not always when you try to delete a file from the samba share, for example the file you just copied there by dragging it to the trash, often you will get an error - "The operation cannot be completed because the item "" is in use.

Hopefully some of you all will replicate it (I really don't think anyone who tries will have any trouble at all replicating it) and/or more importantly somebody can come up with a fix or a workaround.

Thankyou in advance,

Tom Schaefer
Unix Admin.
University of Missouri Saint Louis