[Samba] W2K Passwords

Brian Thompson bthompson at canadalawbook.ca
Tue Jul 8 14:24:16 GMT 2003

Hi There,

I'm installing Samba 2.0.7 on Red Hat 7.1.  I followed the instructions on
creating a password file for Samba.  Doing this I was able to link to the
share file just fine.

My problem is when I added a new user to linux, I was not able to use the
smbpasswd command to add them.  First I added the user and group in linux.
When I tried the smbpasswd command kept displaying the unable to find error
message.  I had to re-do the instructions for creating a password file for
Samba and overwrite my first set-up. I then had to re-add the previous users
passwords.

Is there a more efficient way of adding passwords without having to redo the
previous ones?

smb.conf (settings condensed)
[global]
workgroup = cntserver