[Samba] Problems with Samba and W2K

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Tue Jul 8 04:57:56 GMT 2003

On Tue, 7 Jul 2003, Keith Williams wrote:

> Dear Group,
> I have been working very hard for the last 3 days trying to get my W2K
> To join a Samba Domain. I have tried it seems like everything to do it
> and it won't go. I really think its something simple but I don't know
> how to fix it.
> The error I get is this one from W2k when trying to join the samba
> domain.
> ""The Following error occurred to join the domain smis".
> The account used is a computer account. Use your global user account or
> local user account to access this server."

You have specified that your want Samba to be a domain member. This means
that you mus have a Windows NT4 type domain controller already. In this
case Samba is not correctly configured since the domain logons will
conflict with the existing domain controller. "security = domain" means
the samba should join a domain controlled by another domain controller.

If it is your intent that Samba should BE the domain controller then you
must specify "security = user" and not "security = domain".

I suspect that you want samba to be the PDC. So set "security = domain"
and this should work much better.

- John T.

--
John H Terpstra