[Samba] ldap pdc and rejoining domains

Duncan Brannen dbb at st-andrews.ac.uk
Mon Jul 7 16:30:23 GMT 2003

Afternoon all,

I've got a problem I hope somebody can help me with.

We've got samba working as a PDC to windows 2000 machines
with LDAP as the backend.

It's fine until we start distributing the load over multiple LDAP servers.

I've changed the configuration in the pam ldap stuff (on Solaris using padl) to
point at a slave LDAP server (replacing /etc/passwd)

What I'm not clear on is what happens when we rebuild a machine.

We reinstall the machine & try to create a new domain account.
That fails because it already exists
Machine then tries to rejoin domain setting up new SID/password (???)

smb.conf points at the ldap-slave
smbldap_tools stuff points at ldap master
pam.conf stuff points at ldap slave

which one is samba using to rejoin the domain.  I guess it's smb.conf or
pam.conf
since before I had referrals working properly changes were being made to
the slave.

If it's smb.conf, does it understand referrals?  If not, is it possible to
use a slave
ldap server with samba?

Sorry if I seem confused - it's cos I am :)

Cheers,
	Duncan