[Samba] Samba/Windows question: problems loading roaming profiles

Fermín Galán fermin.galan at agora-2000.com
Fri Jul 4 11:27:34 GMT 2003

Hello everyone!

I'm trying (unsuccessfully until now) configure two Samba
servers:

- Server A. Acting as PDC in a Windows 2000/XP
domain and as profile server.
- Server B. Acting as profile server.

I have users whose profiles are in server A and others
whose profiles are in the server B. The server where
each user's profile lives is identified by the main
group (GID) of the user (that is, the group name
-expanded with %G- is the NetBios name of
her server).

The fact is that users with the profile in the Server A can
successfully logon from a Windows client but the users
of the server B cann't. The authentication seems works,
but there is a fail when Windows tries getting the profile
(an error telling that the roaming user profile haven't
been located and a local generated one will be used
for that session is shown).

I don't have much experience using Samba and I don't
know what is the cause or how to solve the problem
(maybe I'm triying an impossible configuration?).
Any help (or pointers to help) is really welcome.

I attach the configuration (smb.conf) of server A and B (for
reference):

Server A:

[global]
   server string = Samba PDC and profiles server
   workgroup = mydomain
   security = user
   encrypt passwords = yes
   wins support = no
   os level = 64
   domain master = yes
   local master = yes
   preferred master = yes
   domain logons = yes
   name resolve order = lmhosts host wins bcast
   logon path = \\%G\profiles
   logon drive = H:
   logon home = \\%G\%u
   logon script=config.bat
   log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
   log level = 1
   max log size = 1000
   dns proxy = no
   preserve case = yes
   short preserve case = yes
   unix password sync = false
   passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
   passwd chat = *Enter\snew\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n
*Retype\snew\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n .
   syslog only = no
   syslog = 0;
   socket options = IPTOS_LOWDELAY TCP_NODELAY SO_SNDBUF=4096 SO_RCVBUF=4096

[homes]
   comment = Home Directories
   browseable = no
   writable = yes
   hide dot files = yes
   create mask = 0700
   directory mask = 0700

[netlogon]
   path = /netlogon
   writable = no
   guest ok=yes
   share modes=no

[profiles]
   path = /profiles/%U
   writeable = yes
   browseable = no
   create mask = 0711
   directory mask = 0711
   dos filemode = yes
   dos filetimes = yes
   map archive = yes
   map system = yes
   map hidden = yes
   hide files = /desktop.ini/

Server B:

[global]
   server string = Samba profiles server
   workgroup = mydomain
   security = user
   encrypt passwords = yes
[...]

(Home directories of the user are under /home and
profiles directories of the user are under /profiles. All
users all registred in the smbpasswd file of both server).

Thank you in advance!

-------
Fermín