[Samba] Problems with force (user|group) and XP Professional?

Damian Gerow damian at sentex.net
Thu Jul 3 17:18:33 GMT 2003

Hi all,

In continuing of previous problems, I've noticed some potential problems
with force user / force group and Windows XP Professional.

I'm not exactly sure why or how, but it appears that XP picks up the fact
that it's being connected as the forced user (smbguest), and continues
trying to authenticate to other services/shares as that user (smbugest).
I'm not sure if this carry-over is being done in XP or in Samba or in their
interaction, but I know it's happening.

Every other service on the samba server has user smbguest as an invalid
user, so once a machine authenticated to the forced user service, it lost
connections to all other services.  I have since changed configuration, and
it all /seems/ to be working at this point.  Just wondering if others can
comment/confirm/deny the above?

  - Damian