[Samba] Can't get SAMBA to send winpopups properly

Rob Tanner rtanner+samba at linfield.edu
Thu Jul 3 15:55:38 GMT 2003

Hi,

I am configuring SAMBA 2.2.7 to act as a print server to do chargeback
cost accounting.  It is a member of the NT domain and has no user
accounts.  Using the %U variable I am able to track print jobs without a
hitch.  But the other thing I need to be able to do is send the user a
popup with his/her balance.  I would like to be able to send this popup
after every printjob, but the only mechanisms I see are applicable to
connecting and ending the session.

For testing I added the exec and postexec parameters to the printer def in
smb.conf.  In both cases the parameter is set to '/bin/echo "Hello World"
| /usr/bin/smbclient -M %m' (less the enclosing single quotes).  But what
I get when I logon and logout from a windows xp box is nothing.  From the
command line, it works just fine, but within the samba config it doesn't.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Rob Tanner
UNIX Services Manager