[Samba] Delay opening Word, Excel files

Brad Dokken bbdokken at demail.com
Wed Jul 2 18:18:51 GMT 2003

Hello,

I am running samba 2.2.7a on Red Hat 9. The clients are running Win2k with
SP3 and Office XP with SP2. The Samba server authenticates with a WinNT 4
domain controller.

When the users open a Word or Excel document there is a 30sec delay before
the file opens. From info gleaned from searches on this subject I have tried
turning oplocks off altogether, which resulted in Word and Excel crashing
whenever I tried to open a file. I also tried setting oplock break wait time
= 10 which had no effect.

Thanks in advance for any help you could give me!

In the smbd log I see the following:

[2003/06/29 04:23:01, 0] smbd/oplock_linux.c:linux_init_kernel_oplocks(287)
  Failed to setup RT_SIGNAL_LEASE handler

and occasionally:

[2003/07/01 04:02:03, 0] param/loadparm.c:map_parameter(2077)
  Unknown parameter encountered: "revalidate"
[2003/07/01 04:02:03, 0] param/loadparm.c:lp_do_parameter(2752)
  Ignoring unknown parameter "revalidate"

Here is my smb.conf file:

[global]
	log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
	load printers = yes
	smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
	passwd chat = *New*password* %n\n *Retype*new*password* %n\n
	obey pam restrictions = yes
	socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_SNDBUF=8192 SO_RCVBUF=8192
	wins server = 172.16.3.2
	encrypt passwords = yes
	passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
	dns proxy = no
	netbios name = kings
	server string = Samba Server
	printing = cups
	password server = 172.16.3.6
	unix password sync = yes
	workgroup = SACRAMENTO
	os level = 20
	printcap name = /etc/printcap
	security = domain
	preferred master = no
	pam password change = yes

[homes]
   comment = Home Directories
   browseable = no
   writable = yes
   valid users = %S
   create mode = 0664
   directory mode = 0775

# If you want users samba doesn't recognize to be mapped to a guest user
; map to guest = bad user

# Un-comment the following and create the netlogon directory for Domain
Logons
; [netlogon]
;   comment = Network Logon Service
;   path = /usr/local/samba/lib/netlogon
;   guest ok = yes
;   writable = no
;   share modes = no

# Un-comment the following to provide a specific roving profile share
# the default is to use the user's home directory
;[Profiles]
;    path = /usr/local/samba/profiles
;    browseable = no
;    guest ok = yes

# NOTE: If you have a BSD-style print system there is no need to
# specifically define each individual printer
[printers]
   comment = All Printers
   path = /var/spool/samba
   browseable = no
# Set public = yes to allow user 'guest account' to print
   guest ok = no
   writable = no
   printable = yes

[projects]