[Samba] winbind and NIS+NFS

Harry h3 at ucla.edu
Wed Jul 2 18:10:41 GMT 2003

On Wed, 2 Jul 2003 00:54:07 -0500 (CDT)
"Gerald (Jerry) Carter" <jerry at samba.org> wrote:

> There is no winbindd<->NIS gateway.  It has been considered, but we're
> developing an alternative solution using an LDAP backend for winbindd
> in Samba 3.0.

I thought that might be the case.

Another option I have thought about is to have both *nix servers run winbind
to authenticate users of their respective services against w2k3/ads. My
understanding is that there is no guarantee that 2 separate instances of
winbind will necessarily map uid/gids the same. So my question - is there
*some* way to ensure a consistent map between 2 winbind installations, perhaps
by taking some extra steps during account creation? Perhaps something like
manually syncing the file that stores that map, or manually editing that map
file.

Thanks,
Harry