[Samba] Samba / Windows XP

d_lemaitre at cpbourg.com d_lemaitre at cpbourg.com
Wed Jul 2 12:56:10 GMT 2003

Hi,

I have a problem with a PC (OS: Windows XP) and Samba.

Windows XP client can join Samba (2.21) Domains without an error message.

I create Unix and Samba machine account for the new client like this:

useradd -g machines -c "windows xp workstation" -d /dev/null -s /bin/false
-m PCWINXP$

smbpasswd -a -m PCWINXP$

I modify the XP registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\netlogon\parameters
"RequireSignOrSeal"=dword:00000000

When I try to logon into the Samba Domain, I have an error message:

 Windows cannot connect to the domain either because the domain controller
 is down or otherwise unavailable or because your computer account was not
 found.

What can I do?

Regards.

LEMAITRE Daniel