[Samba] How to get Samba to listen on private network without a physical interface

Jeff Orrok jeff at rt.com
Tue Jul 1 20:16:26 GMT 2003

Hello,

I have seen many many pages describing how to set up Samba with pptpd by
having pptpd assigning a small range of IP's on an existing physical (eth*)
lan.  That all makes sense to me.

However, I do not have that kind of setup.  I am leasing a server, and it is
not on a private lan, so I do not have a physical interface to associate with
the network I want to use (172.16.0.0/16).  I have pptpd assign remote IP's
from the 172.16.1.1-254 range and local IP's from the 172.16.2.1-254 range;
and I want Samba to listen on 172.16.3.1.

The trouble is, I don't know how to create a "virtual" interface to which I
can associate the 172.16.0.0/16 network and still be able to have pptpd use
it.

Please send replies to the list, otherwise you will have to deal with my
whitelist.

Regards,

Jeff