[Samba] interfaces parameter use needs clarification

Chris Smith chris at realcomputerguy.com
Fri Jan 31 19:57:08 GMT 2003

On Fri, 2003-01-31 at 14:17, John H Terpstra wrote:

> > Which clearly, and seemingly purposely, leaves out the lo interface.
>
> Which is always allowed except when explicitly NOT allowed.

OK, so there is no need to add the lo interface because it is added by
default.

How about the format of the IP/submask pair:

> > Furthermore in the "Unoffcial Samba HOWTO" it is stated:

> > A common mistake is to set the interfaces line to the specific IP
> > address of the box, when it is actually the IP subnet that your
> > interface is on that you want to use. Assuming your server runs on
> > 192.168.0.1 and your netmask is 255.255.255.0, your smb.conf file should
> > look like:
> >
> >         interfaces = 192.168.0.0/255.255.255.0 127.0.0.1
> >
> > However this also does not reconcile with the smb.conf manual, nor the
> > examples which clearly show the use of the IP address of the interface
> > itself as proper.

Is it indeed a mistake at all to use the IP of the interface vs the
subnet's address or is the "Unofficial Samba HOWTO" in error here?
I recognize that if I knew C I might have been able to answer this one
myself, apologies.

Thanks.
Chris