[Samba] Re: Can't see all of the directories in a share with 2.2.7a-1 & RH8...but older version/kernel can

Joe Gerkman joe.gerkman at gartner.com
Fri Jan 31 16:43:17 GMT 2003

On Fri, 2003-01-31 at 07:47, Chris de Vidal wrote:
> Update:
> From a RedHat 8 box with Samba 2.2.7a from a Samba.org
> RPM, I could see 1000 directories on a Windows 2000
> Pro share.
>
> From a RedHat 7.3 box with Samba 2.2.7a from a
> Samba.org SRPM tweaked to include ACL support, I could
> see 1000 directories on a Windows 2000 Pro share.
>
> I created them with a for loop from my smbmount, not
> from within Windows, in case it matters.

I figured it wasn't a directory/file number limitation, but wasn't
entirely sure...I guess this confirms it...just as a check, were there
any particularly large files/directories in there?  I know that we have
some directories that can get as big a 8 GB in size...just not sure if
size plays into this at all either...

> Someone shared that the permissions were possibly
> incorrect, but that would only seem to apply to a
> Samba server, not smbmount.  And you're not using a
> umask, so the default umask is the one from the
> system, which is 0022, making permissions for folders
> and files 755.
>
> The only thing I can offer now is possibly ensuring
> that the username you access from the 6.2 box is the
> same you use on the 7.x+ boxen.  If the usernames were
> different, perhaps permissions on Windows hide those
> directories from view (but obviously not from cd).

Yep...same id...same password.

> Oh, and check the DOS permissions on those
> directories.. make sure they're not hidden.  I don't
> know if smbmount obeys that, but it's worth a shot.

I'll double-check that and let you know...but as most of the directories
are created by a script (on the windows side), and there haven't been
any changes to the script, they *should* all be the same...but again,
I'll confirm that.

> /dev/idal

Thanks again Chris...

-Joe