[Samba] samba printing on Solaris 7

Hong hzhu at wesleyan.edu
Fri Jan 31 16:10:13 GMT 2003

Hi all,

I'm running Solaris 7 with samba 2.2.7a and would like to
have samba printing in place so that PC client can print
from existing print queue "its_simx_local" on solaris
(created via jetadmin).

The print queue is visible in Windows Explorer. Using
Windows "Add Printer Wizard", I installed the HP printer
onto the PC client. However, there was no output on the
printer when I sent a print job from the PC client. Rather
the job is stuck in the path ("/usr/spool/samba" - mode 1777)
that I defined in the [printers] folder in smb.conf:

woodstock:/usr/spool/samba% file *
smbprn.000009.EZaOOL:   ascii text

Here are the print related entries in smb.conf:
[global]
        load printers = yes
        printcap name = /usr/local/samba/lib/printcap
        printing = sysv
	  print command = /bin/lp -c -d%p %s
[printers]
   comment = All Printers
   path = /usr/spool/samba
   browseable = yes
   guest ok = no
   writable = no
   printable = yes

And the contents of /usr/local/samba/lib/printcap:

# cat /usr/local/samba/lib/printcap
its_simx_local:\
        :bsdaddr=woodstock,its_simx_local,Solaris:

Any quick response would be highly appreciated.

Many thanks,
Hong