[Samba] Re: Can't see all of the directories in a share with 2.2.7a-1 & RH8...but older version/kernel can

Chris de Vidal cdevidal at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 31 15:47:59 GMT 2003

Update:
>From a RedHat 8 box with Samba 2.2.7a from a Samba.org
RPM, I could see 1000 directories on a Windows 2000
Pro share.

>From a RedHat 7.3 box with Samba 2.2.7a from a
Samba.org SRPM tweaked to include ACL support, I could
see 1000 directories on a Windows 2000 Pro share.

I created them with a for loop from my smbmount, not
from within Windows, in case it matters.

Someone shared that the permissions were possibly
incorrect, but that would only seem to apply to a
Samba server, not smbmount.  And you're not using a
umask, so the default umask is the one from the
system, which is 0022, making permissions for folders
and files 755.

The only thing I can offer now is possibly ensuring
that the username you access from the 6.2 box is the
same you use on the 7.x+ boxen.  If the usernames were
different, perhaps permissions on Windows hide those
directories from view (but obviously not from cd).

Oh, and check the DOS permissions on those
directories.. make sure they're not hidden.  I don't
know if smbmount obeys that, but it's worth a shot.

/dev/idal

--- Chris de Vidal <cdevidal at yahoo.com> wrote:
> To the list: We've been having some off-list
> conversation and I wanted to clue you in here.  Our
> thread might be useful for posterity's (Google's?)
> sake.
>
> /dev/idal
>
> --- Joe Gerkman <joe.gerkman at gartner.com> wrote:
> > We're using the following command (from a shell
> > script):
>
> First (this isn't your fix but a nicety), it's
> easier
> when this is in /etc/fstab instead of with a script.
>
> It can be done automatically at boot (RedHat
> recognizes smbfs types and waits til network is
> started) or manually with the noauto option.  Then,
> you can just run
> mount /blahblah/Data
>
> If you put your password in a credentials file (see
> below), you can protect your password.
>
> Again, not a fix for your issue but I thought you'd
> like to know that.
>
> > mount -f -t smbfs -o
>
> Second, I had to look up -f.  man mount:
> -f     Causes everything to be done except for the
> actual system call; if it's not obvious, this
> ``fakes'' mount-ing  the  file  system.  This option
> is useful in conjunction with the -v flag to
> determine
> what the mount command is trying to do. It can also
> be
> used to add entries for devices that were mounted
> earlier with the -n option.
>
> I have little confidence this will fix your problem,
> but please try it without that flag anyway.
>
> It's just a shot in the dark...

username=xxxxxxx,password=xxxxxxx,uid=xxx,gid=xxxxxxxxx,fmask=770,dmask=770