[Samba] Dumb ? question abount Name Resolution on a full Samba Domain

Pierre Lebrun ple000 at artic.fr
Fri Jan 31 13:05:22 GMT 2003

I wonder how to configure the name resolution on the Windows network.

I am puzzled by the "Wins Support" section of the smb.conf man page:

" You should not set this to yes unless you have a multi-subnetted
network and you wish a particular nmbd to be your WINS server "

Does that mean that on my subnet, broadcast is as performant as direct
acces to the Name Server, even if Samba is the PDC and WINS Server ?

If the use of a name server is better, what should I use: DNS, WINS, both ?

Thanks for your comments.

Pierre