[Samba] Can't see all of the directories in a share with 2.2.7a-1 &RH8...but older version/kernel can

Gerkman,Joseph joe.gerkman at gartner.com
Thu Jan 30 21:32:59 GMT 2003

Hi Barry,

Don't think so, at least not at the root level of the share...none do...some have some files within the directories with spaces though...just seems curious if it were to affect one version/kernel (the newer) and not the other (older)?

-J

2.2.7a-1 &RH8...but older version/kernel can

Hi all,

Hoping someone might be able to steer me in the right direction and/or
help me solve my problem.

We have a number of Linux servers (RH6.2 -> RH8) which connect to the
same share on a Win2000 Server.  We've been working kinda hard to get
everything upgraded to either RH7.3 or RH8.0 since we rarely get the
opportunity.  2 similar servers (one dev, one prod) access this same
window share, which has a large number of directories (about 620-650),
and the share itself is for a 180GB volume.

Just recently we discovered that our dev server (RH6.2/2.2.14-5.0 with
samba 2.0.6-9) can see all of the directories/files at the root of this
share, but the prod server (RH8.0/2.4.18-19.8.0 with samba 2.2.x ->
2.2.7a-1) can not, it can however see a good portion of them (about
554).

There doesn't seem to be anything in common about these "missing"
directories...have checked time, size, etc...nada in common that we can
determine.  We did try quite a few crazy things, like deleting a few
directories to see if we saw more, but nope.  And I should note that the
directories are there, you just can't see them...I can 'cd' into them
with no problem.

Oh, and I've tried going back to the earlier version of samba (same as
on the dev machine - 2.0.6-9), but no luck.

Any ideas?  Anyone?  Please...

-J