[Samba] Smbmount for Solaris 8?

Gene Smith GENE at ROCKINGEEKS.COM
Thu Jan 30 20:21:44 GMT 2003

>I see that smbmount is for Linux only.  I have a need for a Solaris 8
>Sun to see a Win2k shared volume, currently as read-only.  So I have a
>few questions:

>	- Is there a read-only capability of smbmount for Solaris 8?
>	- Is there a Solaris 8 version of smbmount in development?  Is
>so, when would it be released?
>	- Can you name any commercial packages that offer the ability to
>mount NTFS file systems (either read-only or full-access)?

If your Solaris is Solaris 8 x86 the following doesn't apply, however if
you're running Sparc the following link might help:

http://www.sun.com/solutions/interoperability/netlink/pcnetlink2_0/index.htm
or just
http://www.sun.com/solutions/interoperability

PC-Netlink is more of a server product than a client but it's free for
Solaris Sparc platforms.

If you are running Solaris x86 then you might want to look at:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/sfu/default.asp

It's $99.00 but has an NFS server for MS as well as a host of other
interoperability shtuff...

Good Luck