[Samba] Wins Server Fail

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Thu Jan 30 19:55:06 GMT 2003

On Thu, 30 Jan 2003, Clovis Tristao wrote:

> Hi,
>      I'm using samba-2.2.7-2 in RH 8.0. I'm receiving, lot off
> e-mails(Logwatch), with the error message:
> [2003/01/28 08:23:15, 0]
> nmbd/nmbd_browsesync.c:get_domain_master_name_node_status_fail(509)
>   : 1 Time(s)
>      I configured smb.conf to Wins Server, with global options:
>      security = share
>      os level = 255
>          preferred master = Yes
>          lm announce = yes
>          local master = Yes
>          domain master = Yes
>
>      What's happen?
>      Please help-me,

There is nothing in the above that tells samba to be a WINS server _or_ a
WINS client. If you want samba to be a WINS server then you need to add to
smb.conf [globals]:
	wins support = Yes

If you want samba to be a WINS client then you need:
	wins server = x.x.x.x
where x.x.x.x is the IP of the WINS server. If samba is the WINS server
then DO NOT add the "wins server =" line.

Since your samba server is in SHARE mode, why do you want it to register
as a domain controller? Suggest you set "os level = 20" - the default, you
do not need to set it higher in most situations unless you want to be a
network logon server, which with SHARE mode security does not make mcuh
sense. Share mode scurity (ie: "security = share") is fully described in
the smb.conf man pages.

You might also check the smb.conf man page for what "domain master"
really means.

I hope this helps.

- John T.
--