[Samba] WinXP Printing issue

Ron Bombard ronb at nativetextiles.com
Thu Jan 30 17:00:08 GMT 2003

Greetings!

I'm running Samba 2.2.5 on HP-UX 10.20.

I've recently started adding WinXP clients to my network.  Here's my
issue:

I installed a WinXP machine on the network.   I was able to add a
bunch of samba-networked printers to the Xp machine.

I recently added 2 new printers to the network.   I added the printer
names to my samba "printcap" file.   I'm able to add these printers to
any Win98, 95 machines.   But my WinXP machine doesn't see them.
Even if I don't "browse" for it, and just type it in manually
"\\Server\printer" it errors:

"Windows cannot connect to the printer.  Either the printer name was
typed incorrectly, or the specified printer has lost its connection to the
server."

I even removed a printer from my network, removed its printer name
from the "printcap" file.    This printer STILL shows up in WinXP.  It
even lets me install it.

Is there some sort of "Cache" or something that stores this information
on WinXP machines?   Does anyone have any ideas?   It sure would
be "Handy" to be able to add printer to my network...

Thanks!
Ron