[Samba] So SAMBA no longer supports print driver downloads

Dietrich Restemeyer Dietrich.Restemeyer at t-online.de
Thu Jan 30 06:52:06 GMT 2003

On Wednesday 29 January 2003 22:59, Robert M. Martel wrote:
> So SAMBA no longer supports print driver downloads.  That is about the
> only conclusion that I can come to at this point.  I've not been able to
> get Windows printer driver downloads to work right since Samba 2.2.2.
>
> 	No one but printer admins displays the correct settings for printers,
> everyone else gets the original printer defaults that they cannot change.
>
> 	I've tried this with every version since 2.2.2 up to 2.2.7a and the
> story is the same - printer settings get lost.
>
> 	I've built from scratch.  I've taken a working 2.2.2 set-up, verified
> that the drivers loaded correctly for clients, upgraded the server to
> 2.2.7a and had all the settings get lost.
>
> 	Does anyone *REALLY* have downloading printer drivers to Windows 2000
> clients working properly?  Has anyone documented the steps as the ones in
> the available documentation DON'T work?
>
> 	My apologies for sounding so pissy, I've been fighting with this for
> some time and this mailing list has been strangely silent when I've asked
> for help - except for other people writing me and asking me if I've found a
> solution because they are having the same problem.
>
> 	Anyone have suggestions?

I have much trouble with drivers from HP.
The drivers that come with w2k XP works.
If you have to use the drivers from the manufakturer of the
printer try the default devmode parameter in smb.conf
to initialize the driver. Once done you can remove
the default devmode from smb.conf.

Just a try, has worked for me with HP Deskjet 970 driver.

Didi