[Samba] Using Winbindd in nsswitch.conf

daniel.jarboe at custserv.com daniel.jarboe at custserv.com
Thu Jan 30 12:54:10 GMT 2003

WINS != winbind

The appropriate hosts entry in nsswitch.conf would be wins, not winbind.
You might also want to look at 'name resolve order' in smb.conf.  Since
you've made your samba server the wins server, make sure your windows
clients know it.

Winbind is for making unix users out of windows users without creating
"real" accounts on the system.  I don't think this is what you were
going for.

~ Daniel

This message is the property of Time Inc. or its affiliates. It may be
legally privileged and/or confidential and is intended only for the use
of the addressee(s). No addressee should forward, print, copy, or
otherwise reproduce this message in any manner that would allow it to be
viewed by any individual not originally listed as a recipient. If the
notified that any unauthorized disclosure, dissemination, distribution,
copying or the taking of any action in reliance on the information
herein is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication
in error, please immediately notify the sender and delete this message.
Thank you.