[Samba] Re: Problem with Samba PDC and WIN2000

Pierre Lebrun ple000 at artic.fr
Thu Jan 30 08:26:52 GMT 2003

You have to :
UNIX
- add an account for the machine in /etc/passwd ended by a '$' like
'machine$'
- add this machine account to the smbpasswd file with smbpasswd -am
machine. The '$' is added by the smbpasswd.
W2K WS
- on the desktop: "My Computer/Properties/Network Id./Properties/Member
of" clik on domain and enter the domain name. Enter the root account and
password then you have a welcome message from the PDC

Warning:
You cannot change the machine name and join the domain in the same
operation. You must 1) change the machine name 2) reboot 3)join the domain.
I experienced troubles (not solved yet) while joining a domain with a
W2K server.

I hope this can help you.

Pierre