[Samba] Samba LDAP user adding

Jim Wharton jwharton at acpafl.org
Wed Jan 29 20:41:43 GMT 2003

I just installed samba 2.2.7 on Mandrake 9 with OpenLDAP support. I have set
up OpenLDAP and everything is cool. When I try to add a user I get:

[root at luna openldap]# smbpasswd -a jim
New SMB password:
Retype new SMB password:
Failed to issue the StartTLS instruction: Connect error
Failed to issue the StartTLS instruction: Connect error
Failed to add entry for user jim.
Failed to modify password entry for user jim

so I jumped in to smb.conf and disabled ldap ssl = start tls. Then I got:

[root at luna openldap]# smbpasswd -a jim
New SMB password:
Retype new SMB password:
LDAPS option set...!
ldap_connect_system: Binding to ldap server as
"cn=root,dc=dsc,dc=mine,dc=nu"
Bind failed: Can't contact LDAP server
LDAPS option set...!
ldap_connect_system: Binding to ldap server as
"cn=root,dc=dsc,dc=mine,dc=nu"
Bind failed: Can't contact LDAP server
Failed to add entry for user jim.
Failed to modify password entry for user jim

I am kinda at a loss here. Sorry for being so vague but can anyone give me
any ideas of what to check out?

Jim