[Samba] Win98 clients accessing Samba file server.

Bill Merry b.merry at crabtree-evelyn.com.au
Wed Jan 29 05:59:30 GMT 2003

HI All
I'm in the process of setting up my first Linux box at work, a basic file
server for all 20+ Win clients (I'm sick of paying M$ CAL) all have a 'home'
directory and all share a 'shared' directory. What my problem is, everything
is working OK with WinXP/2000 I can see the shared directory and our own
home directory on the Samba box.

With Win98 I can only see and access the shared directory. I can see and
access the home directory only if I set up a 'share' for them and give the
directory read/write access for everyone, not what I really desire.

I have gone though all the doc's that I can find and I can't find any
answers. As it's working for the WinXP/2000 I figured it probably a Win98
problem? but they are all set up according the HOW TO from Samba, as far as
I can tell.

Using RH8 & Samba 2.2.7a, have WinNT4 server as PDC and the network is
purely TCP/IP.

All and any help will be greatly appreciated.

This an entry from a client log

Denied connection from 192.168.0.44 (192.168.0.44)
[2003/01/29 14:42:38, 0]
rpc_client/cli_netlogon.c:cli_net_sam_logon_internal(406)
cli_net_sam_logon_internal: NT_STATUS_WRONG_PASSWORD
[2003/01/29 14:42:38, 0] smbd/password.c:domain_client_validate(1619)
domain_client_validate: unable to validate password for user DIMI in domain
MELB to Domain controller *. Error was NT_STATUS_WRONG_PASSWORD.

My smb.conf
# Samba config file created using SWAT
# from samba.melb (127.0.0.1)
# Date: 2003/01/29 09:51:17

# Global parameters
[global]
            workgroup = MELB
            server string = Samba Server
            security = DOMAIN
            encrypt passwords = Yes
            password server = *
            log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
            max log size = 50
            dns proxy = No
            username map = /system/samba/username_map

[homes]
            comment = Home Directories
            read only = No
#          guest ok = Yes