[Samba] Using Winbindd in nsswitch.conf

Jonathan Johnson jon at sutinen.com
Tue Jan 28 21:59:49 GMT 2003

Hello, all--

I've a question regarding using WINS for resolving names while on the unix
box. As I understand it, you're supposed to add something to the
/etc/nsswitch.conf file, but it's not clear to me whether it's supposed to
be 'wins', 'winbind', or 'winbindd' as in the following example:

hosts:      files wins nisplus nis dns
hosts:      files winbind nisplus nis dns
hosts:      files winbindd nisplus nis dns

Which is correct? (I'm not using nis, so I guess those could be removed but
they aren't hurting anything by being there.)

I believe I have the windbind options in smb.conf configured correctly, and
winbindd is starting automatically. In my situation, the Samba server is
also acting as a WINS server.

Thanks,
--Jon
jon at sutinen.com