[Samba] BackupPC and Win9x Boxes

Doug Lytle support at drdos.zapto.org
Tue Jan 28 18:34:00 GMT 2003

I am hoping someone here can help me.

I have several Win95/98/NT/2K boxes that i'm trying to provide a backup
solution for.  I found BackupPC and got it setup.  It uses Samba for the
communicaitons on the Windows clients.

The problem that I'm running into is that it requires access to the
clients via IP address and not network name.

This works fine for the Win2k boxes, but when it's applied to the Win9x
boxes, smbclient fails.  Could someone point me to a workaround or a
fix.  Or, should I find another package?  Samba output below:

Running: /usr/bin/smbclient '\\192.168.101.125\MY DOCUMENTS' -U 'brenda taft' -E -N -d 1  -c 'tarmode full' -Tc -
session request to 192.168.101.125 failed (Called name not present)
session request to 192 failed (Called name not present)
session request to *SMBSERVER failed (Called name not present)
session request to 192.168.101.125 failed (Called name not present)
session request to 192 failed (Called name not present)
session request to *SMBSERVER failed (Called name not present)
tarExtract: Unexpected end of tar archive (tot = 512, num = , posn = )
tarExtract: Done: 1 errors, 0 filesExist, 0 sizeExist, 0 sizeExistComp, 0 filesTotal, 0 sizeTotal

Thanks in advance!

Doug Lytle