[Samba] PAM Module for SMB-LDAP

Matthias Eichler mylists at ame.de
Tue Jan 28 10:43:13 GMT 2003

Hi Everybody,

maybe we are just too stupid, but for me it seems that
there is some problem with holding passwords completely
sync between *NIX-world and WIN-world when I use LDAP
& Samba.

If a user changes a password under Windows, with "passwd chat"
the *NIX-Password (attribute: userPassword) can be changend
very well besides the both Samba-LDAP-attributes lmPassword
and ntPassword.

But if a user from the *NIX-world wants to change his password
over a service that uses PAM.D we have the following problem:

pam_smbpass.so can authenticate UNIX Users via SMB-LDAP
but it can not be used for "passwd" from UNIX-side!!!
We read already the sourcecode and pam_smbpass.so always
wants to change the smbpasswd-file, which is not be used
for regular users in LDAP-mode...

??? Does anybody knows, how I can change the attributes lmpassword and
ntpassword from pam.d?!?!

Would be great! Thanks!!!

Matthias

--