[Samba] Moving Existing W2K Local Profile to W2K Roaming profile

A Cline acline27 at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 27 23:19:00 GMT 2003

Hello all:

I am running Samba 2.2.3a on RedHat 7.3.  I have a user with an extensive
Local Profile.  I want to join his computer to the domain and make his
current local profile a roaming one.  I have tried the following steps:

Attached the computer to the domain.

Logged into the computer as a Domain Administrator.

Gone to my computer -> user profiles.

Selected the users local profile and clicked on Copy To.

In the path to copy to I put \\crhpdc\profiles\username.

I then telnet to crhpdc and
chown -R username.useranem ./profiles/username

It succeeds in copying all of the files to the correct place.  When I try to
login as the user, however, the registry portion of the profile refuses to
load but all of the Files and Icons etc. are there.

I have read the extensive post found here
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=samba&m=104260390311570&w=2 but I'm still
pretty lost.  I gather that there is something called the User SID and found
the registry entry that tells where that person's profile is located but I
don't really know what to do from here.  I was able to download getsid.exe
and use it seemingly successful enough.

I also realize that there is a utility in the latest CVS that will help me
edit the ntuser.dat file on the samba server.  I think this is the way I
want to go but I'm not 100% sure.  Can someone shed some light on how I need
to use the new Samba utility to make this current .dat file work like I need
it to?

Smaller and not as important of a question:  I read that you should have
username.domain directories for your profile directories.  I have
username.000, username.001, and sometimes username~000.  Does anyone know
off-had what this means?  Did I screw up somewhere?

Thanks,

A Cline