[Samba] samba pdc smbpasswd error

Kyle Loree kyle at caisnet.com
Mon Jan 27 20:06:58 GMT 2003

I have gotten samba to allow an xp client to logon to the domain server
before, my problem now is doing exactly that on a different machine.
I can browse files, but I get an access is denied error upon join.

[2003/01/27 10:46:21, 0]
/SourceCache/samba/samba-21/source/rpc_server/srv_samr.c:api_samr_set_userinfo(670)
  api_samr_set_userinfo: Unable to unmarshall SAMR_Q_SET_USERINFO.
[2003/01/27 10:46:21, 2]
/SourceCache/samba/samba-21/source/passdb/pdb_smbpasswd.c:startsmbfilepwent(170)
  startsmbfilepwent_internal: unable to open file /var/db/samba/smbpasswd.
Error was Permission denied
[2003/01/27 10:46:21, 0]
/SourceCache/samba/samba-21/source/passdb/pdb_smbpasswd.c:pdb_getsampwrid(1416)
  unable to open passdb database.

That is my error from log file.
I have seen this problem mentioned elsewhere, though i have never seen a
solution, does anyone have any insight?