[Samba] Beginner feeling a little better now

Brian suseuser at rurnt.com
Mon Jan 27 19:57:56 GMT 2003

Mark Butcher wrote:

"What I can not yet do is transfer data from the Linux box to a Windows PC
from the Linux machine - I don't know how to view the network !!!!"

Previous posts suggest you are using SuSE. If so, one way to look at the network in a friendly environment is to go to Yast2's "Install/Remove Software" and search for "LinNeighborhood". Install it. It should be in Internet Tools now. Run it and click Add for each Windows computer you want to add to the network. By typing in the name of the computer and clicking Query it should fill in the rest of the info like IP address, so you don't have to know it.

Click on one of the windows computers that shows up and you should get a list of available drives. Click on a drive and then click MOUNT. You will likely have to mount it as root, so check off that box and enter your root password. It defaults to mounting the drive in /home/[linuxusername]/mnt/[windowscomputername]/[windowsdrivename]. Now if you were in Konqueror or whatever and wanted to save a file to that windows computer, it should work no problem.

If any of this doesn't work it might be because I have NFS up and running, so if the above doesn't work (I think it will) then investigate installing an NFS server and NFS client on your linux box. (Although I think that should only affect communication between linux boxes not linux/windows, but I don't know much more than you!)

Brian