[Samba] Multiple Domains/Workgroups (again sigh)

Steve Morley steve at morleys.org
Mon Jan 27 19:02:53 GMT 2003

Hi All,

After a couple of months break (and running only a single instance of SAMBA)
I once again need to try and get two simultaneous instances of SAMBA running
on the same machine, each serving up a different domain/workgroup.

Here's the scoop:

one machine, with dual NICs, the first one is on 192.168.1 (students) and the
second one is on 192.168.2 (staff).  Here's the diff on the conf files,
smb.conf.students & smb.conf.staff:

-su-2.05b# diff smb.conf.students smb.conf.staff
3c3
<    workgroup = STUDENTS
---
>    workgroup = STAFF
5,7c5,7
<    hosts allow = 192.168.1. 127.
<    interfaces = 192.168.1.200/24
<    pid directory = /var/run2
---
>    hosts allow = 192.168.2. 127.
>    interfaces = 192.168.2.200/24
>    pid directory = /var/run

Here's my startup script:

> -su-2.05b# more /etc/startsamba
> #!/usr/local/bin/bash
>
> /usr/local/sbin/smbd -D -s /usr/local/etc/smb.conf.staff
> /usr/local/sbin/nmbd -D -s /usr/local/etc/smb.conf.staff
>
> /usr/local/sbin/smbd -D -s /usr/local/etc/smb.conf.students
> /usr/local/sbin/nmbd -D -s /usr/local/etc/smb.conf.students

If I comment out the staff launch, the student domain works as expected.  When
I try to launch the staff one though, neither works, but there's no errors in
the log files...

- Should I bump up the logging level?
- Do I need to add a piddir directive at launch time as well as having it in
  the .conf file?

It's 2.2.6pre2 (built from ports on FreeBSD 4.7-Stable).  I know there's 2.2.7
but really don't want to risk breaking what's working, as this box is live and
can't afford to go down.  But...  if someone knows for certain tht this was
broken in 2.2.6 or something, that would help big time.

TIA
Steve