[Samba] Samba as PDC for WinXP, Win9

Robert Adkins raa at impelind.com
Mon Jan 27 14:50:24 GMT 2003

	Localization of the OS should have no bearing on this issue. The only
thing localization could/should affect is which government agency
receives your personal documents during the near continuous contact that
ALL WinXP based machines makes to the 'net. (I need more coffee that was
a bit more sarcastic then usual, sorry.)

	The issue is likely related to the release of Windows XP that is in use.
All Windows XP's are not created equal.

	For ANY Domain use, VPN tunneling, Dual Processor, you MUST be using
Windows XP Professional. There is no other way around it, without
possibly breaking EULA's, copy right law and possibly other laws. (Which
might involve borrowing DLL's and other things from Windows XP Pro and
importing those into Windows XP Home Edition.) Windows XP Pro also
supports encrypted file systems, which is not available on XP Home.

	Windows XP Home Edition is a toy that is meant purely for home use. It
doesn|t support Domain Authentication, it will also never support dual
processor systems. It does have some nice features and is based off of
the Windows NT kernel, but it has a Home Version of the networking
component and other important subsystems.

Regards,
Robert Adkins II
IT Manager/Buyer
Impel Industries, Inc.