[Samba] Re: redhat and windows smb

Mark Keir m.keir at qut.edu.au
Sun Jan 26 13:35:01 GMT 2003

Leo,
If your users have local accounts on the Linux boxes (either from
/etc/passwd or from a directory source like LDAP) and the usernames are
the same, you can use kerberos authentication (pam_krb5) against AD.
Using authconfig, enter the details for the realm in uppercase and then
leave the default ports but enter details for a domain controller(s) for
the KDC and Admin Server fields.  For an NT or Samba domain (2.x.x), use
SMB authentication (pam_smb) and enter the name of your domain in the
workgroup field and the name of the server(s) in the servers field.
pam_smb can accept netbios names for the server but using the FQDN or IP
is more certain (especially if across subnets).
As mentioned in other replies, winbind will do it but you may get issues
with uid's.
Regards
Mark

Mark Keir,  Email: m.keir at qut.edu.au
UNIX/LINUX Systems Administrator and OLT/WWW Manager,
School of Electrical and Electronic Systems Engineering,
Queensland University of Technology,
CRICOS No. 00213J, Brisbane, Australia
Phone: +61 7 3864 5018, Fax: +61 7 3864 9022