[Samba] Really bad Read performance

Noel Kelly nkelly at citrusnetworks.net
Sat Jan 25 17:22:06 GMT 2003

Hi Thomas,

Your is a common complaint on this list and typically it always seems to
come back to network hardware problems rather than software.

Run ifconfig on your interface and see if there are any errors listed.  If
you see none then i strongly recommend you swap the cable, NIC, switch/hub -
very good chance this will take you closer to a solution than fiddling with
Samba parameters which are best left on their defaults!

It has happened to me a couple of times.  When the network hardware is
working properly you see great performance from a default Samba install.

Good luck,
Noel