[Samba] linux server completely hangs copying files with samba

Buchan Milne bgmilne at cae.co.za
Sat Jan 25 17:17:01 GMT 2003

>To: samba at lists.samba.org
>Date: Sat, 25 Jan 2003 11:10:43 +0100
>From: "Dragan Krnic" <dkrnic at lycos.com>
>Cc: davide.cavaleri at libero.it
>Subject: [Samba] linux server completely hangs copying files with samba
>
>I think it's the same problem I had and it's not the
>network problem. It's about a problem with system on IDE
>drives. After I switched to a SCSI disk for boot, swap and
>root the problem disappeared completely.
>
>The fact that the problem doesn't occur with 10 Mbps
>connections only shows that slow ether cannot create enough
>stress for the problem to manifest itself. It's some
>racing condition in UDMA driver. If you disable DMA on
>your system IDE drive you won't have the problem but the
>performance really sucks.

Which IDE chipset? We ran our network on a machine runnning essentially
9.0 (cooker but with 2.4.19-16mdk kernel, and most server components and
libraries haven't changed) on a 120GB IDE disk for a week with no
problems, with dma enabled. So it might be chipset specific.

Maybe if you two can log a bugzilla or Mandrakeexpert entry, and you may
be able to try the kernel update that should be coming and see if it
addresses the problem.

Regards,
Buchan