[Samba] windows xp cannot find profile share

Sönke Ruempler soenke at ruempler.de
Sat Jan 25 15:41:02 GMT 2003

hi list,

i worked long time with profile dir in homedir, but that gave me file
oplocks.
after creating a profiles share (777), windows xp gives me the error msg at
login:

"The serverbased profile was not loaded. you will be logged in with a local
profile. changes to this profile will not be copied to the server. the
profile was not loaded, because an existing server-based
userprofile-directory copy does not have the right access rules. either the
actual user or the admin group has to be owner of the dir. conact your
administrator." (translated from german :-))

i think, the client would automagically create his profile dir and login?

i can manually create a dir "soenke" in the profiles share over smb with my
client.

whats going wtrong?

smb.conf:

[global]
workgroup = blah
netbios name = blub
server string = Windows 3000 Datacenter Server
hosts allow = 192.168.0.
log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
max log size = 0
log level = 3
encrypt passwords = yes
smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
domain admin group = @users
character set = ISO8859-1
security = user
interfaces = eth1
os level = 300
domain master = yes
preferred master = yes
time server = yes
domain logons = yes
wins support = yes
logon path = \\%N\profiles\%U
local master = yes

[homes]
 comment = Users
 browseable = no
 writable = yes
 valid users = %S
 create mode = 0664
 directory mode = 0775
 nt acl support = yes

[profiles]
 comment = Roaming profiles directory
 path = /home/profiles
 read only = No
 create mask = 0600
 directory mask = 0700
 browseable = yes

[netlogon]
 comment = Network Logon Service
 path = /usr/local/samba/lib/netlogon
 guest ok = yes
 writable = no
 share modes = no

ls -al /home/profiles/

[soenke at router soenke]$ ls -al /home/profiles/
insgesamt 12
drwxrwxrwx    3 root     root         4096 Jan 23 19:55 .
drwxr-xr-x    8 root     root         4096 Jan 22 21:15 ..