[Samba] Printing Problem

Joel Hammer Joel at HammersHome.com
Thu Jan 23 21:34:01 GMT 2003

I don't know an exact solution, but things to try until you fall over
the answer would include:

1. Put the exact commands into your printer share, rather than hoping
everything is working right. For example:

[Photo]
	comment = Print Photos
	path = /tmp
	read only = No
	create mask = 0700
	guest ok = yes
	hosts allow = 192.168.
	printable = Yes
	printing = lprng
 	print command = echo %J %p %s  >>  /tmp/junkJ;\
                       a="`echo '%J' | sed "s/^.*- //"`" ;\
	               echo This is truncated $a >> /tmp/junkJ;\
                       /usr/bin/lpr -PPhoto  -J"$a"  %s;\
                       rm %s
	lpq command = /usr/bin/lpq -PPhoto
	lprm command = /usr/bin/lprm -PPhoto %j
	lppause command = /usr/sbin/lpc hold Photo %j
	lpresume command = /usr/sbin/lpc release Photo %j
        use client driver = yes
This works for XP home clients as well as windows 95/98 clients.

2. If you are using lprng, look at lpd.perms for restrictions (good luck).
You could put DEFAULT ACCEPT as the only line in that file. Other
printing systems may have their own configuration files which restrict
access to the queue.

3. Read the samba logs. Maybe you will see which command is failing and why.

Joel