[Samba] Winbindd - final step

Andrew Butler ButlerAndrew at cel.ie
Thu Jan 23 16:06:00 GMT 2003

Hello,

I have been trying to configure SAMBA and WINBINDD for a couple of weeks now
and I have been edging closer and closer but every time I move on a new
problem occurs.............

I wish to integrate Samba with an existing NT network with a view to
migrating to Linux over time. I have installed SAMBA/Winbind on a RH8.0
machine using its native SAMBA package. I am trying to configure the server
for login using our NT id and passwords. Our PDC is NT 4.0 SP6.

Winbindd is running correctly and I believe I have configured PAM correctly
as according the the system log access is granted and no errors are
reported.

When I try to log onto the server locally at a console, I am granted access
(last login flashes up on the screen), however, the login prompt is
immediately refreshed. The system log gives no information other than Access
granted and which terminal I was granted login access on. The usual record
in fact after sucessful logins.

When I log in using GDM, I am told that "The administrator has disabled your
account". The system log reports that "gdm_share_session_start: User not
allowed to login" and gdm [925]: PAM unable to dlopen
(/lib/security/pam_winbind.so). I checked the permission on the security
directory and they look fine i.e. "Others" have read and execute access.
Also, GDM recognises that I have entered the correct password i.e. it tells
me if I don't.

This is very frustrating. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks for your help.

Andrew Butler.

not necessarily those of Connaught Electronics Ltd. Information in this