[Samba] [iddwb@urbansrv1.pp.asu.edu: ]

David Bear David.Bear at asu.edu
Thu Jan 23 03:26:00 GMT 2003

This is very frustrating.  I have a number of print shares defined in
smb.conf.  Some of the printer shares open from the windows interface
and display the correct status.  Other open with the message "access
denied" but printing continues to work.  I spent an hour going over
the latest smb.conf man page and found two possible solutions:
1) using "dissable spoolss = yes"
2) and "use client driver = no"

I've implemented these and, no more mixed messages on the windows
printer object.  The question is Why did I have mixed results opening
these printer objects where some worked and others didn't.  I'd like
to use the new rpc methods for printing but it was way to confusing to
the users to show this bogus messages.

#======================= Global Settings =====================================
[global]
   netbios name = URBANSRV1
   workgroup = CUI
   server string = Center for Urban Studies ASU Ag Building
   announce as = NT
# This option is important for security. It allows you to restrict
# connections to machines which are on your local network. The
# following example restricts access to two C class networks and
# the "loopback" interface. For more examples of the syntax see
# the smb.conf man page
   hosts allow = 129.219. 127.
   load printers = no
   printcap name = /etc/printcap
   printing = LPRng
   print command = /usr/local/bin/lpr -P%p -r %s
   lpq command = /usr/local/bin/lpq -P%p
   lprm command = /usr/local/bin/lprm -P%p %j
   use client driver = no
# user client driver should be no by default, but ?
   disable spoolss = yes
   log file = /var/log/samba.d/smb.%m
   max log size = 50
   log level = 2
   security = server
   password server = ASURITE1
   password level = 8
   username level = 8
   encrypt passwords = yes
   guest account = urban
   ; map to guest = yes
   socket options = TCP_NODELAY
   remote browse sync = 129.219.120.191 129.219.100.13
   remote announce = 129.219.120.191 129.219.100.63
   local master = yes
   os level = 34
   domain master = yes
   preferred master = yes