[Samba] Re: Data Conversion

Jim C jcllings at tsunamicomm.net
Thu Jan 23 02:42:00 GMT 2003

hmmm... Well I do remember once uploading a file to my Linux server
(without samba) and seeing a change in the file size.  Downloading the
file back onto the Windows box put the file size right back where it
was, so you can see how one might believe this.  Needless to say I was
completley baffled.  I could still use the file and there seemed no
other changes other than that on this box it was one size and another
size on that box.  I also remember consulting a professional about it
and what I was told was that Windoze does rounding.  Of course it could
be the difference between Windoz 95 / 98 /98 2nd Ed  / 2K / XP as I do
not remember the exact OS and truthfully the Professional I consulted
was... well... a "Linux extremist" a.k.a. "Penguin Nazi". ;-)

I leave it to the reader to draw further conclusions in regards to the
file size issue.