[Samba] Re: smbfs + large UID's

Jim jcllings at tsunamicomm.net
Thu Jan 23 02:20:01 GMT 2003

I'm probably talkin' out my hat here (or brainstorming?) and I don't
know if this is possible but maybe if you used hex numbers or a base X
number system for uids?

If you use all 24 letters upper *and* lowercase *and* 0-9, that is a
base 58 number system which fits HUGE numbers in small strings.  :-)
If samba deals with the numbers as if they were strings you could in
theory do this by changeing the samba.schema definition of uidNumber and
manageing the uids by script.