[Fwd: Re: [Samba] Authoring a HOWTO]

Buchan Milne bgmilne at cae.co.za
Wed Jan 22 17:21:02 GMT 2003

Forgot to cc samba ...

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [Samba] Authoring a HOWTO
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 18:41:56 +0200
From: Buchan Milne <bgmilne at cae.co.za>
To: Jim <jcllings at tsunamicomm.net>
CC: Ronan Waide <waider at waider.ie>

> Message: 20
> Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 11:37:18 +0000
> From: Ronan Waide <waider at waider.ie>
> To: Jim <jcllings at tsunamicomm.net>
> Cc: samba at lists.samba.org
> Subject: Re: [Samba] Authoring a HOWTO
> On January 21, jcllings at tsunamicomm.net said:
>
>>> I am in the process of authoring a Samba-LDAP-PDC HOWTO for Mandrake
>>> users that will allow cross platform ( Linux / M$ ) network user
>>> authentication.  Lastnight I ran
>>> rpm --rebuild --with ldap samba-2.2.7a-2mdk.src.rpm
>>> and it produced a list of packages that I needed to install in order to
>>> compile this version of samba.  I did so but I neglected to write down
>>> the list.  I did the install of the list of like 5 items through the gui
>>> so I can't track it through history.
>>>
>>> Anybody know what is required to compile samba?
>>> I know readline was on the list as was an updated version of GLIBC
>
> Why not do the following:
>
> rpm -q --requires samba-2.2.7a-2mdk.src.rpm

Alternatively you could contact the Mandrake samba maintainers (one of
whom you are reading email from now, the other is quite busy in a new
position), from where you would find that you can usually get LDAP
enabled RPMs for the current samba release for most recent Mandrake
releases from the samba mirrors.

In the case where there aren't up-to-date RPMs on the samba ftp mirrors,
you can get them from:

http://ranger.dnsalias.com/mandrake/samba or
http://people.mandrakesoft.com/~staburet/samba

So, at present there are RPMs of 2.2.7 on the samba FTP mirrors, and
2.2.7a-1mdk is here:

http://ranger.dnsalias.com/mandrake/samba/RPMS/9.0/samba-2.2.7a/

Easy setup should be something like this:
# urpmi.addmedia samba-2.2.7a \
http://ranger.dnsalias.com/mandrake/samba/RPMS/9.0/samba-2.2.7a/ with \
hdlist.cz
# urpmi samba-server-ldap

Also, you may want to note that
1)smbldap should be setup by default, but that you would want to ensure
that /etc/samba/smbldap_conf.pm is linked into
/usr/share/samba/scripts/, and you need to edit /etc/samba/smbldap_conf.pm

To import existing samba users, you need to edit
/usr/share/samba/scripts/import_smbpasswd.pl, then run:
$ /usr/share/samba/scripts/import_smbpasswd.pl </etc/samba/smbpasswd

Note that it seems that automatic machine account creation is broken in
2.2.7a, which is why I haven't put up RPMs of 2.2.7a onto the samba ftp
mirrors, so you will have to manually create machine accounts at present
using something like this:

# /usr/share/samba/script/smbldap-useradd.pl -w -g machines -c 'Samba
machine account' -d /dev/null -s /bin/false machinename$

I think that's about it on the samba side. On the ldap side, ensure that
if you are storing machine accounts in a different ou to your user
accounts, you need to ensure (at least on the DCs) that your ldap.conf
search base will find them. We use something like this:

nss_base_passwd  dc=cae,dc=co,dc=za?sub

On any other member servers or desktops you can use a more typical
search base of

nss_base_passwd  ou=People,dc=cae,dc=co,dc=za

Oh, please also check that you have ldap password changing without using
an ldap password when changing a users password as root, otherwise you
should disable unix password sync.

If you have something to show, I wouldn't mind taking a look at it.
Also, be aware of
http://ranger.dnsalias.com/mandrake/muo/connect/csamba6.html . I have
been meaning to add LDAP content there for quite while but haven't had
the time.

Finally, I would prefer if we could get machine addition working before
you publish, which would mean you could use the samba FTP mirrors in
your example, and I could save some bandwidth.

Also, look at the readme in the ftp mirrors for a script that will work
on any machine for setting up urpmi.

Final note, I have started work on a Mandrake Wizard for setting up
ldap, but don't have much time for it now, if any Mandrake users with a
bit of perl experience are interested, we may be able to get it finished
in time for 9.1, otherwise you will have to wait till I finish my thesis
... which may not be in time for me to have it working for 9.1.

Regards,
Buchan