[Samba] A way to shut down workstation

Jim McDonough jmcdsmb at maine.rr.com
Wed Jan 22 15:04:01 GMT 2003

On Wed, 2003-01-22 at 02:12, Zoran Ovcin wrote:

> Sorry, but I still do not get it. Where do i type the above command? On
> the Linux machoine? I do not have the 'net' command there... On the w2k
> machines, (workstations) I do not have net rpc command. Maybe on the w2k
> server, who is not in this story with samba...
Ah, ok.  "net" is part of samba 3.0 (you can get the alpha).  If you only want
to use net from 3.0, but still use 2.2 for everything else, that's fine.

Just make bin/net from samba 3.0.

This allows you to type the command on the linux box to remotely shut
down the w2k machines.

If you want to shut down w2k machines from other w2k machines, you need the
w2k resource kit.  The command on windows would be "shutdown.exe".