[Samba] Samba 3.0 + AD + OpenLDAP

Bradley W. Langhorst brad at langhorst.com
Wed Jan 22 05:03:01 GMT 2003

On Tue, 2003-01-21 at 23:46, Ron McKown wrote:
> > > I would like to install Exchange2000 on a windows2000 machine so our
> > > windows users can do calendaring (sendmail already handles all of our
> > > email needs).
> > I don't know how exchange works but i'm pretty sure you can join the w2k
> > machine to the samba controlled domain in NT4 mode.  I would guess that
> > exchange will use that userdb ...
>
> i'm not entirely sure about this.  windows products seem fairly set on
> doing one particular thing and not deviating much from it...
i've never used exchange before so I can't be of much help to you...

bottom line on the AD front..
samba3 can participate as a member server of an AD domain but
cannot be the domain controller.

You'd have to move all your users to the AD domain controller and join
the samba3 server to the domain or use winbind.

If you can avoid using AD do so - it'll just suck you further into the
microsoft stuff (which i assume you are trying to avoid with samba)
Hopefully you can run exchange on a non AD domain... (in which case you
can stick to released versions of samba)

brad

--
Bradley W. Langhorst <brad at langhorst.com>